Thursday, October 29, 2009

Easy Halloween Jar Lights

At the beginning of October I made these to give to my visiting teaching sisters:

I got the idea here, and noticed my cousin and her neighbor made some at the same time I did (here). Instead of using stringed lights or a real candle, I put a battery-powered flicker light at the bottom and stuffed them with candy.

These are REAL easy to make, so if you don't have anything up for Halloween QUICK--- find an empty jar, some tissue paper, mod podge (or something similar), construction paper--- and MAKE ONE (or two)! Here are the steps:
  1. Clean out your empty jar and cut the tissue paper into strips.
  2. Apply a base coat of mod podge to a section of the OUTSIDE or your jar then GENTLY press the strips onto the jar until the podge is covered. Repeat until the whole jar is covered. Let dry for a few hours.
  3. Using the construction paper, cut out a face for your creation. Once the first coat is dry, apply podge to the back of your face pieces and place onto the jar.
  4. Wait a few minutes and then apply a even coat of podge over the whole creation and let dry overnight.
  5. After dry, place your preference of lighting into the jar and enjoy!
I also made some for my family too, since they were so easy to make. My picture is on the camera and my transfer drive went into a hiding amidst the move, but I made a pumpkin, ghost, Frankstein and Spider. Frank was made from a tall Pace jar and Spidey was a jar of unopened baby food leftover from Little Knight's pureed days.

NOTE: Since we moved into our house, I haven't been able to get to any of my craft stuff. My darling husband says it's getting me ready for the couple months after Little Girl is born; I say I'm wasting my 'nesting' energy. (I'm actually using it to get a few things organized and decorated) :)

So, my goal is to get a couple more things done before Little Girl is done, but I guess, like everything else in our lives right now, it's a wait and see... so ya'll will have to as well!

UPDATE: Here are my jars...

2 comments:

  1. I meant to post a comment before. I actually thought I had and then noticed I hadn't. Sorry....

    Anyway, those are really cute! I would actually decorate my house with them, which is a big compliment because I'm very picky about my decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for more information about flat rate locksmith Las Vegas check that right away. Origami Halloween

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It helps us know others appreciate our work (and reach out to other bloggers)!