Sunday, August 28, 2011

Yoda Onesie & Rattle

I know my last post was about Star Wars, I just can't resist. Actually it took my best friend to have a little boy to get me to do more shirts. And what did I make him?

A Yoda Onesie & Matching Rattle

I found the idea {HERE}. She makes incredible Star Wars shirts; Leia, Chewy, Boba, etc. and they're super cute. The problem for me was the price, when I knew I could make it too. So I bought felt, wonder under, and created my own pattern.

After I made the front, I added something to make it different. The other famous quote from the green jedi master.
Courtesy of a little bit of Freezer-Paper magic.

I'd share it, but I don't want to seem like I'm taking away business. Instead, I'll give some tips.
  • Use things around your house to match the shapes for yoda. I used a bowl, bobbins, spools.
  • Make a pattern out of paper FIRST before you trace or cut your felt.
  • Remember to do the face details BEFORE fusing it to the shirt (or sewing the rattle).
  • Wonderunder is your friend. My iron plays nice with WU when I set in on the cotton blends setting. First step (fusing WU to the piece) says 3-5 seconds--- count on 5. Wait until it cools down to pull it off. If when you start to pull, set it back under the iron. With the second step (WU to fabric) have the damp cloth (I use old kitchen towels) and I iron it in 10 second intervals; I check every 10 seconds to see if it's fused. Iron until completely fused.
  • Work from the bottom up. Here's the order: dark brown middle piece, ears, robe (sand-colored) pieces, head, cane, hands.
  • You can sew in on with a machine, but I don't recommend it. I like the detailed look of the blanket stitch.
One more Star Wars themed post, something for the budding space pilot.

Linking {HERE}

I'm also attempting to enter this:




maybe it'll give me more 'posting' motivation...
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Adorable! I may consider having another child, simple for the chance to have him wear this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. too cute! and i must say your blanket stitch is so neat! Have bookmarked this :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It helps us know others appreciate our work (and reach out to other bloggers)!