Monday, October 17, 2011

Skeleton Greeter

Two weeks to Halloween!

I have a confession: I love {Pinterest}. I spend entirely too much time on it, but I end up finding crazy awesome ideas. I saw {THIS} idea about a month ago and knew we must make our own.

It's a Skeleton Wreath made by Meg at {Mega-Crafty} & {Mega-Spooky}.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3DD4Mrnl9fI/TKvK1ByqJmI/AAAAAAAADL0/NeZPy6CiOEU/s1600/IMG_9080.jpg

Here's my version:

My Little Notes:
  • You really can buy the bones anywhere. We found our at Target. It was $20 for the bones, and I'm sure we could have found them cheaper somewhere else, but I was way too excited to start this project (and so was my hubby) so we caved and got the bones.
  • If you follow any of my advice: Don't buy the styrofoam glue (especially if you're impatient like me). In my experience it did not stick at all, I even waited the time it said to, tried to move it and... you can imagine the rest. My husband, the trusty engineer, said he thinks the glue is just repackaged white glue. It sure acted like it... PLUS it's not water-proof; so, if you plan on making it an outdoor wreath, definitely get the corresponding glue. Before I changed my glue, I kept having visions of my Skeleton creation falling apart in the next rain. Even though I don't usually have to worry about THAT in Texas, it DID rain the week after we made this.
  • Now I bet you're asking, well how do I stick it together now, Amber? Well, I'll tell you: Gorilla Glue (or as our 2-yr-old says Monkey glue--- she has a thing for monkeys and don't ask me how) and some well placed alummium wire to make the joints even more secure. Think about it, Skeleton man doesn't have any cartlidge to help him stay together... that's what the GG does, adds cartlidge.
  • Play around with the bone arrangment. Mine started out as a wreath and I quickly realized that wasn't going to be very effective. So we messed around until the bones were perfect. Then we added a spooky sign for an even creepier touch (the sign was actually one of our first Halloween decorations we bought).
  • Work in sections at a time, to give the GG a little more time to dry.
  • He's hung up with picture hangers and some string behind his head. The positioning of the string makes it so that he protudes out a little... in the face of anyone who comes to the door.
I'm excited to see the expressions of the Trick-or-Treaters... if we get any ;)

I link {HERE}.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. this is really kewl.
    Would luv for my readers to follow this, inviting you to link at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/10/halloween-ideas-and-home-decor-party.html
    Thanks
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It helps us know others appreciate our work (and reach out to other bloggers)!