Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Ex-Shower Curtain Birthday Banner

My little knight has a birthday next week---which means he has a birthday party this weekend. I've spent lots of my craft time getting ready for the party and finishing his homemade gifts. As part of 'getting ready for the party,' I wanted to make a permanent birthday decoration for our family: a birthday banner. I didn't want to spend a lot of money so I used an old shower curtain fabric sitting at the bottom of my craft bin and turned it into our new birthday banner.What you need:
  • old shower curtain or a couple yards of home decor fabric
  • 1/4 yard fabric for letters
  • WonderUnder or your preference of fusible item
  • 12- 6 inch ribbon strips
  • 2 7/16 eyelets and eyelet tool
  • Rope, yarn or string
  • sewing notions
How to build it:
  1. Create a Template for your triangles. I made my triangles equilateral with the bottom side 8 inches and the two other sides 11 inches. Trace 26 triangles (front and back for each letter of the phrase 'happy birthday') onto the wrong side of your fabric and cut out with pinking shears.
  2. Create a template for your letters using a publishing software. I used Microsoft Word and I used the font 'Ad Lib.' Print out, trace on, and cut out on the letters fabric. Also, trace and cut out letters from the wonderunder. Remember to make sure the letters are backwards.Adhere WonderUnder using directions and then sew in place on the triangles. You should now have 13 lettered triangles and 13 non-letters ones.
  3. Now take a non-letter triangle and place it wrong-side up. Take 2 ribbon strips and place them near the top of the triangle on either side. I didn't measure how much of the ribbon I put inside the triangle, just eyeball it. Make it enough so the ribbon stays after sewing.
  4. Place the Letter 'i' triangle on top of this first one and pin it into place. Sew around the edge of the triangle. Working from the middle out helps to keep the ribbons in the right place.
  5. Repeat this process with the other triangles until you get to the H for Happy and Y for birthday. These letters only need one ribbon to attach to the rest of the banner. Sew around triangles.
  6. You should now have a banner, but no way to hang it. This is where the eyelet come in. Following the eyelet directions, insert one in the outside corner of the triangle, just inside your sewing seam.
  7. Take your rope, yarn, or string and cut it long enough to fit the space you want to hang the banner and VOILA!
A Birthday Banner from an old shower curtain. Have fun!

Stay tuned; I have more birthday inspired crafts including a couple birthday presents and CARS party decor!

giveaways

SYS Thurs

1 comment:

  1. First step: awesome birthday banner made from shower curtain scraps, final step- win "so you think you're crafty"! Awesome work, you inspire me greatly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It helps us know others appreciate our work (and reach out to other bloggers)!