Friday, July 26, 2013

Lulu the Dark Elf

I recently got a hold of Amigurumi! Super Happy Crochet Cute by Elisabeth A. Doherty at Half-Priced Books. I have been wanting to make something from that book for years now but this is the only time I could have gotten the book for under $8. I didn't want to follow one of the patterns to the "T," though. I decided that this would be a good time for making a Dark Elf like I have for some time.

This girl took some time to make. My wrists and knuckles have been giving me some grief more than I had anticipated. I had to take more breaks than I liked. The hair took longer than I thought it would, as well. I hadn't done a french braid for an amigurumi before and it took a little more thought. It was also nice to sew some clothes for her. Everything can come off of her but the shirt. I had to sew it shut although I could have added snaps. I really like how she came out. Now it's time for close-up shots.

Crafted by Mule (Megan).

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Another Go at a T-shirt Quilt

Sorry for the poor photo quality. I didn't want to dirty it by taking it outside.
 Finally got around to finishing the next t-shirt quilt adventure. I've made one before, but I had a pile of shirts that kept on growing. I wasn't wearing them anymore due to the shirt's being old or I just didn't want to anymore. I wasn't planning on making this now but I had been making some t-shirt yarn from the leftovers of the shirts from the previous quilt that I went on to these shirts to do the same. The quilt just happened.

As you can see this quilt looks a lot different from the other one. A lot of these shirts has so many different sizes of images that the same layout wouldn't work. So I grouped shirts where I knew the images would make the same sized squares or rectangles. I laid them on the ground and knew immediately that I had to fill in the spaces of the rows. I found some old shorts and leftover materials from previous projects and decided to add them to the quilt. People who read the blog might recognize some of them. ;)

This time I decided that I wanted to interface all of the shirts before I sewed them. Not only did this allow me to cut the squares/rectangles nicely, but it stabilized then rather well. There wasn't nearly as much stretching as the other quilt. There was a tiny bit because I was getting lazy and not holding the iron down long enough for the interfacing to adhere completely. Seriously, though. SIX yards of interfacing. Oi.

And I couldn't help but think of someone while I was making this quilt. She passed away in May and was known for making all kinds of things for her family. Quilts were one of the things that she did the most. A lot of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren have one made by her. They're something special now that she isn't on earthy anymore. So I decided to pay a tribute in the bottom right corner of the quilt with some hand-embroidery. Love you, Granni. <3 p="">

Crafted by Mule (Megan).

Thursday, July 4, 2013

And Yet More Polymer

After doing some sketches to make some different animals, I just kept experimenting. This is what came out of it.

Epilepsy Awareness Dragon

Crafted by Mule (Megan).