Thursday, August 22, 2013

White Crochet Purse

I usually use a black purse that I sewed when I was still in Washington. It's been a nice size and works fairly well, but I've been wanting one about the same size in white. I didn't want to sew it this time. I wanted to make something that had a lot of texture, and I figured that crochet would get the effect that I wanted.

For this purse I used single crochet, double crochet, puff stitch, chain, and slip stitch to make it. I had used this same pattern for a couple of scarves and decided that it would work pretty well. This purse is worked with a long chain base and then in the round. After completing it I realized that it needed a fabric lining and I planned on using some magnetic clasps to keep it closed. I ended up sewing all of the fabric by had because I didn't want to pull the sewing machine out for something small. It seemed silly to me. So I used a running stitch around and then slip stitch to attach the lining. I also used a slip stitch to adhere the fabric holding the magnetic half on the flap. It think it worked pretty well.

The lining and magnetic clasps.
Crafted by Mule (Megan).

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Disney's Newest Ladies (Plus Dragons)

When I'm in my room I've been looking at the 10 Disney Princesses and Merida that I made last spring, and thought to myself that they looked incomplete. Disney has some new leading ladies coming out in November and I knew that I had to make some that would match the ones that I've already made. I know that I should find the time to make some other Disney ladies, but since I'm excited about this movie I figured starting with them would be the best.

Meet Anna and Elsa of Frozen.

Their backs. Yep, I'm THAT obsessive.

I also got around to finishing up the accidental Harry Potter themed dragons. There are the Maroon & GoldGreen & SilverBlue & Bronze, and now the Yellow & Black. I suppose you can guess which house the dragons belong to. I thought it would be fun to have a matching set of dragons. ;)

I also decided to experiment a little. I have a few extra glass pebbles and I wanted to do something fun with it. Putting the pebble in the center helped me come up with an idea: a dragon's eye. I thought it would be interesting and different than anything I've made before. After baking I put a silver-wash on the clay and then glazed it to help the scales have more texture.

By the way, if you would like to commission me to make you something you can. I just don't make anything with licensed characters or is explicit. You can contact me through my deviantART or here on the blog.

Crafted by Mule (Megan).